Man shot dead by police after car chase in south London | UK News

A man in his 20s has died in hospital after being shot by armed police following a pursuit in south London.

The Met Police said in a statement: “At 9.51pm on Monday specialist firearms officers were in pursuit of a suspect vehicle in the Lambeth area.”

Officers used a tactic where they deliberately collide with a car to force it to stop to bring the pursuit to an end in Kirkstall Gardens, Streatham Hill, shortly before 10pm on Monday.

Locals reported hearing gunshots and the police helicopter hovering overhead.

A 39-year-old man, who lives on nearby New Park Road and asked not to be named, told the PA news agency: “The (driver) drove up New Park Road and turned up Kirkstall Gardens.

Forensics officers at the scene in Kirkstall Gardens, Streatham Hill, south London, where a man was shot by armed officers from the Metropolitan Police following a pursuit on Monday evening. The man, believed to be in his 20s, has died in hospital. Picture date: Tuesday September 6, 2022.

“A police car came down Kirkstall Gardens and crashed into him.

“Another police car came in behind him and they had him locked in at the bottom of Kirkstall Gardens.

“The car was immobile when he was shot.”

Officers gave the man first aid while they waited for the London Ambulance Service and air ambulance to arrive.

He was then taken to hospital where he died at 12.16am.

Rachel Cook, who lives in nearby Kirkstall Road, said it was a “very quiet residential street” and that people were “very shook up about it”.

Cordons were in place on Kirkstall Gardens and New Park Road on Tuesday, with a forensic tent put up and officers gathering evidence at the scene.

Friends of the deceased have also gathered in Kirkstall Gardens, with a few groups of young men congregating on the street.

The statement said the Independent Office for Police Conduct has been contacted and an independent investigation launched.

The charity Inquest, that works with bereaved families, said on Twitter it was seeking to make contact with relatives of the man who died.

Leave a Comment